Vietnamese Caramel Salmon
Serves 4 people
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 4 salmon fillets, skinned
- 150 g sugar
- 150 ml water
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 red chili, finely sliced
- 1 pc 4 cm ginger, peeled and julienned
- 3 Tbsp Vietnamese fish sauce
- 2 bok choy, sliced in half
- 1 small bunch fresh coriander, leaves stripped, for garnish
Make caramel sauce
Place a large deep pan or wok over a medium high heat.
Add in the sugar and 100 ml water. Let it cook for 5 minutes, swirling the pan occasionally until you are left with a dark caramel.
- Do not stir the mixture, add more water if the sugar starts to crystalize
Pour in the remaining 50 ml of water and 3 Tbsp fish sauce. Bring to a steady boil.
Add the garlic, chili (reserving some slices for garnish) and ginger and stir.
Cook salmon and bok choy
Add in the salmon fillets. Flip to coat them completely in the mixture.
Reduce the heat and cook for another 6 minutes.
Add the bok choy and cook the salmon all the way through. Remove from heat.
Garnish and serve
Garnish with coriander leaves and chili slices. Serve hot.