Vegetable Pot Pie
Serves 2 people
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 250 g mixed vegetables (use your leftovers! For this recipe, we’re using carrots, cauliflower and broccoli), diced
- 1 potato, peeled, boiled and chopped into large chunks
- 50 g frozen peas
- 4 shallots, minced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pkt instant puff pastry
- 2 cups cream
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- You can choose to use leftover meat as well, just be sure to shred them first
- Vegetables you can use include carrot, spinach, cabbage, celery, tomato, broccoli, cauliflower and even lotus root
Preheat oven to 180°C.
In a pan on medium heat, add 1 Tbsp vegetable oil and sweat shallots and garlic. After 1 minute, add potatoes, along with mixed vegetables.
Add in cream and bring heat down to low. Simmer for 10 minutes and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Stir in green peas and mix well. Transfer to a baking dish or ramekin.
Cover and bake pot pie
On a flat surface, roll out puff pastry with a rolling pin and cut to size – the diameter of your baking dish or ramekin with an additional 1 inch allowance on all sides.
Cover your dish with the pastry and brush liberally with egg.
Bake in the oven at 180°C for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown and serve hot.
- Egg wash gives the pastry a beautiful golden brown sheen